Thursday, October 23, 2014

What the Eyes can Say....

It has been a rough time at our house.  My Hero, My Staunchest Supporter, My Tormentor, My Rock, the first lap I ever climbed into for a story..  My Daddy had emergency open heart surgery today.  It has been a very scary 4 days.  From the heart cath. to the doctors figuring how best to complete the surgery and giving him the best chance to survive.
 
Today has been a very long day.  I hugged my Daddy and told him that I loved him with my whole heart.  I kissed him and told him to be strong and come back to me.  He smiled and promised.  And then, we waited, and waited, and waited.  A two hour surgery took 3 and a half, and then, the waiting to see him.  the phone calls telling others who love him well, how he is doing.
 
My larger than life, burly Irishman of a Daddy, looked so, well, small and fragile.  The part of me that will always be his little girl, wanted to run and hide or curl up and cry.  The woman he raised me to be, told him how strong he was and brave, and how much I loved him, and.... He opened his eyes.
 
I am so thankful for all who are praying for him and us.  He is a miracle.  Even the doctors are amazed and confounded at his ability to bring himself out of sedation.  He is trying to breathe on his own, and he wrote some things for Mom and I tonight.  He held my hand and motioned that he loved me.  The next days and weeks are going to be hard on him and us.  He has a rare blood disease that has damaged his lungs, so they can not give him the regular dose of pain medication for fear it will stop his breathing.  Therefore, they can only take the severe edge off.  It is excruciating to see him in pain.  I know they are doing what is best for him, but it's still so very hard.
 
 
This song sums up My Daddy and I.  Truly.  And just so you know, The Man has been the most amazing man on the planet.  Quiet, thoughtful, ever there, and finally last night spanked me.  Not because I had been bad, but because I needed the relief.  I love that Man you Know?
 
 

22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much Meredith. I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. I've been praying for you all day. May God wrap his comforting presence around you, your Dad and Mom and all those close to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my sweet friend. Thank you for your heart.

      Delete
  3. Sweet Dana...Sending prayers, healing energy and positive thoughts! I am here if there is anything I can do for you.

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks my friend. It was a tough day today. Lots of pain. broke my heart.

      Delete
  4. Praying for your dad's speedy recovery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Renee. He is progressing, but it's slow and he had a lot of pain today.

      Delete
  5. you are in my prayers. love that song, it came out right about the time my daughter was born and it has always been their song. It means so much. Nice tribute to your strong and wonderful dad. He is a fighter and he will get through this, that is what I am praying for

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is simply amazing Blondie. Love him so much

      Delete
  6. You, your Dad, and your family are in my prayers. That song is such an amazing Father/Daughter song. It was the song I danced to, with my dad, at my wedding. :) You guys are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! He has always been my hero.

      Delete
  7. Hi Dana,

    So sorry your Dad is going through this rough time, he and your family are in our prayers! Take care of yourself and let your husband be your rock while you cheer your Dad on to recovery. Love that song, had me in tears... :0)

    Hugs,
    Irish Lucky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Man, has done laundry, cleaned the house, and been such a love.. I love that man...

      Delete
  8. Dana.. there is nothing more precious then a father's and daughter's love for one another. You will foever be his little girl, and he will be the man that taught you not to settle for less than you deserve. Prayers for your Dad that he will be up and about in no time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Annabelle. You are right. I am his baby.

      Delete
  9. I am so sorry you both have to go through this but I wish him a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is on the mend, that is the best news I can give you.

      Delete
  10. Oh wow! What a post. You have a great Man there, and he's got a pretty great gal!

    Please keep us posted on your dad. You're in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Sarah. Yes I do, and yes he is. Daddy is doing much better. Sorry, I have been behind on answering. It has been quite the week

      Delete
  11. Sending you all prayers and positive thoughts. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg!! He is doing much, much better.

      Delete