Monday, July 28, 2014

Such a Gift

Blonde hair, big blue eyes, and all arms and legs.  Timid, shy, nervous and afraid, that is how you came to me.  Little boy battered by the world not your making.  Quiet, studious and rarely smiling.

Then, you grew.  I loved you and nurtured you.  Laughed with you, cried with you, showed you in every way that I can that you dad is an amazing man and worthy to be the leader of this house.

I have watched you come into your own.  Your heart is pure your mind is quick and your soul belongs to Jesus.  It put a permanent lump in my throat that as we bowed our head to pray, you thanked God for your "mom".  I am not your mother by birth, but I am your mother by heart.  Your place is secure there.  I will never forget the joy the first time you said, "I love you, Mom." 

Your sense of humor rivals my own, and I see so much of your father in you.  Your wit, your mechanical ability, your heart of compassion and generosity.  I have taught you to respect your elders and you do.  Your daddy taught to respect your mom and women and you do.  Your daddy taught you to be responsible and lead in a relationship and you do.

Tomorrow, I will take you to the recruiter and my heart while full of pride till it's bursting, is breaking because I have to give you up to soon.  You are ready, and I am not.  You are confident, and I am not.  I am your mom.  I want to protect you, but it's time to let you fly. 

Be safe, son of my heart, be strong, be bold, be wise, and be who God intends you to be.

22 comments:

  1. This is a really beautiful post and shook me to the core because its as if it was written from a chapter in my own book of life. I too inherited a blonde broken little boy and raised him as my own. His father and I dropped him off at the recruiters office 6 years ago:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know he is doing what he feels he needs to do, and I am so proud... It's just about to kill me...

      Delete
  2. I am so proud of what he's become. I know so much of that is due to you and your love. I love you little girl and I'm so thankful for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a precious, precious, selfless gift you gave me when you allowed me the honor of being their mom. I love you so.

      Delete
  3. Awww sheesh Dana...this one brought tears to my eyes. Been there done that. You and the Man have done an awesome job in preparing this special young man to take his place in the world. Hang in there sweet mama...I am here if you need me.

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just have to get through tomorrow

      Delete
  4. Dana, this moved me to tears. You are an amazing mother to this special young man.

    If you would, please tell him this from me and mine, my family and former co-workers who appreciate and honor our Armed Services,

    "My friends said to thank you for the service you have chosen to give to our great country; that this is a great thing you do. These people are strangers to you, but their prayers go with you today and every day."

    {{Hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and he was very touched. I dropped him off this morning.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful Dana. Good luck today sweetie. It sounds like you and the Man have given your son all the tools he'll need for this next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tess. He is ready, I am not...

      Delete
  6. This post was so beautiful Dana.Good luck today,prayers sent your way. I wish your son all the best, sounds like he's prepared and ready, he'll do great. You both raised a great kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I kept it together and he left head held high

      Delete
  7. Dana, this is so beautiful. You Are a gift to him just as he is to you! I will be praying for you & sending you my support as I feel your pain at having to let him go....I will be praying for your son's safety as well & for your whole family as you all adjust to him being away. Big hugs of support!
    Love,
    Scarlet ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scarlet.. It was a tough day. The Man found a way to call me right after I dropped him off...

      Delete
  8. This is an amazing, truly heartfelt post. I'll be praying. I'm sure it's not easy, but I hope with time, it gets a bit easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is doing what he needs to do. I am very proud of him.

      Delete
  9. This was one of the posts that leave me speechless. Your description of your son as a baby and through adulthood was amazing (by the way I am adopted too and my mother says the same thing about being born in her heart). Having your son head off to an uncertain world is probably one of the most difficult of things that a mother has to do. I am proud of your son and will be praying for him. I am also proud of you for raising a good man and I will be praying for you and your family. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blondie. It has been tough, and I miss him like crazy. He sent me a letter that made me cry... He's a fine man.

      Delete
  10. Well spoken from a mother's heart. My son also entered the military straight out of HS. 18 years later and several deployments, my heart is full of love, joy and unmistakable pride and respect for the man he has become. It is hard to let go, your memories will never fade, just new memories will be added. Prayers for you and him as you both find your ways on the next phase of this journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annabelle. I miss him, but I am so very, very proud. I am happy he is doing what he feels called to do.

      Delete
  11. I'm late here - but this is one of the most beautiful things I've ever read. Thank you for sharing this with us. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cali. I love that boy like crazy..

      Delete