Thursday, January 16, 2014

Life as I know is going to cease to Exist...

Sounds dramatic doesn't it?  Well, that's how I feel.  I just want to say before I rant, that I know I'm ranting.  I know all the good things.  Let me explain.  I have been diagnosed with a autoimmune disease called Hashimoto.  It causes my body to attack my thyroid.  It is the cause of many unhappy things in my life.  Just to name a few...

1.  Constant fatigue, including waking up exhausted
2.  Weight gain and the inability to lose it.
3.  Hair loss
4.  Low lying depression

There is some medication to assist.  It is life long, no cure, but not life threatening.  Much of it is can you guess?  Oh come on, you know you want to.  Did ANYONE see controlled by diet coming?  The main culprit here seems to be Gluten.  You know it's going to SUCK when the articles start out with, you are going to have to give up most everything you love.  Ya know things like


BREADS
SWEETS
PASTA

Now we all understand why I currently feel something like this...

 
 
 
I said to the man last night in my sweetest most innocent, like I can't believe you could possibly, I am just verifying there is NO WAY you would do this to me, 
 
 
ME:   "Is this going to be a spankable offense?"  We were discussing the new things WE were learning. 
 
 THE MAN: "Yes, but I am going to let you ease into, get used to it."  (Ya know like you get used to someone pulling your toenails off with pliers...) 
 
ME:  "What if I don't want it to be a spankable offense?  (Said in my most sorrowful, take pity on this poor addict...)
 
THE MAN:  "Well, this is your health we are talking about, and that is my number one priority, but again, I am going to let you ease into it, get used to it..."  (Do I need to do the toenail analogy again?)
 
 
Keep in mind this was said while he was making up my new vitamin regime.  Did I mention he is a reader, a researcher?  Just so happened he had one of those weekly pill thingy's, and had it made up in no time. 
 
 
I am happy to finally know what is causing me to feel bad, and that it isn't in my head.  This is going to be a MAJOR life change, much like being a diabetic.  It probably won't kill me to give up breads...  Oh hell, it may...  More likely, the paddle and I are going to be very close!!!  Much closer than I want, like ya know INTIMATE....  Cause let me be clear here, The Man is laid back, easy going, and we negotiate on lots... My health just doesn't EVER happen to be one of them...
 
 
 
 
Hmmmm.....  I think I saw an add for padded panties on one of our blogs....

10 comments:

  1. Sorry about your diagnosis. Changing a diet for life is not an easy undertaking for anyone. I know in the UK we have gluten free bread, pasta etc. I have a relative who can't eat it, so we always buy special stuff for him when he visits.
    Best of luck
    DF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Man... oh how I love him. I was really bummed tonight, and while I was at Zumba class, he went to the grocery and got things I could eat that were fun and gluten free. I am still overwhelmed, but it was so very sweet and loving... Made my day.

      Delete
  2. dana, i'm so sorry! i have been right where you are--actually i'm still there, but that's beside the point... i was diagnosed with the sister disease to Hashi, called "Grave's Disease" and it's been a doozy. All the same symptoms except a few different ones but last november i had radiation to try and help. my life was so out of control, that i had to do something. i was basically housebound and sick ALL.THE.TIME. it was killing me. anyway, the radiation has worked better than expected and i still have some healing to have but i totally understand the no cure thing and the daily pill thing. ugh.

    my husband was tremendous to me during all of it and still is. i'm sick a lot but NO WHERE near what it was and i now consider it manageable, whereas before i really couldn't leave the house or do anything fun. it was terrible. i hope yours isn't like that. Hashi is a little different but yet the same. i think we even take the same types of drugs. anyway, if you need any advice, let me know. i'm always around somewhere. :) hugs to you, m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still learning. It is still overwhelming. I may very well tickle your ears. I am not sick like you describe. I am tired, the fatigue is overwhelming. My joints ache and the migraines are blinding. My hands have been basically numb for 2 years and I can't keep the weight off. I am hopeful this medication along with natural supplements and new way of eating is going to help. Course, I would like it to occur without a red bottom.....

      Delete
  3. Well Dana darlin' that just pure D sucks! Big Time!!! So basically you will be on a celiacs/paleo type diet. We have a few people in blog land who are either gluten intolerant or have spouses who are gluten intolerant. My oldest DIL is also gluten intolerant. I have found quite a few cookbooks on Amazon that are free...even if you don't have a kindle, you can still read them on your computer. If you have questions, give me a call.

    Here are a few links you might find helpful:
    http://www.celiaccentral.org/Gluten-Free-Food/
    http://www.glutenista.com/easy-homemade-gluten-free-pasta-recipe.html
    http://www.glutenista.com/jules-gluten-free-flour-review.html
    http://www.julesglutenfree.com/
    http://glutenfreecooking.about.com/od/glutenfreebreads/ss/How-To-Make-Gluten-Free-Bread-A-Step-By-Step-Guide.htm
    http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2010/03/02/tender-high-rising-gluten-free-sandwich-bread-heres-how/

    As far as the red bottom goes...I am sure the Man is going to cut you some slack...it will take quite a while to change the eating habits of a lifetime. Just read your reply to DF...that man of yours is awesome! Call if you need to talk.

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are forming a plan... A program if you will. It's tough.. I am looking at diet, and other natural ways along with the meds. My DIL who is a doc is having a fit. She says there is nothing to the diet, but ya know... I'm tired of feeling bad...

      Delete
  4. That can be so hard. take a look at your local grocery, many have gluten free sections with bread, crackers, cakes, cookies, pasta. It can be hard at first, but I found it got a lot easier with time, like within only a month. :)

    {{{hugs}}} EsMay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For two months I am going to go without any kind of bread to give my body a chance to recover and heal... If I don't die first....

      Delete
  5. Hey if you find those padded panties, let me know. ;)

    In all seriousness though, I'm sorry about the diagnosis but I hope the medication helps a bit. Sounds like your husband is really going to be there for you though, and that's great!

    Good luck. Keep us updated, and I'm here if you ever need to talk! Feel free to shoot me an email whenever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had gluten free pizza tonight.... We went to the book store to "get educated..." I am still looking for the padded panties..

      Delete