Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Let Me Tell You About My Day....

Wow.  All I can say is wow.  Most know that I work as a children's social worker.  I work hard, love my kids I work with and take advocating for them very seriously and to heart.

Today was court.  I had numerous cases.  Now, before I say this next part..  I don't mean to offend, and hope I don't.  We all have a part to play in this process we call, "the system".  One such part are attorneys.  They are called upon to advocate and represent their clients, I get that. (Grrr)

There is one attorney, and he is a real bear.  He can be rude, abrupt, verbally aggressive and insulting.  Now, I am of Irish and Cherokee origin...I am not what most folks call, demure...  Passionate - Yes, fierce- yes, strong sense of what is right- OH yeah...  but demure?  Not so much.

Anywho, (I really like that word)  I am known for giving as good as I get.  I am professional and conduct myself as such.  I do have this little, bitty, really minor, not much to even discuss flaw... 

 
 
 
 
I know that is absolutely shocking isn't it?  Who would have EVER even thought such a thing?  First of all, I am wondering how many of you are rushing to let me know in the comment section that you TOTALLY knew...  Now on to the story...
 
 
I sat down to a meeting with three male attorney's.  My attorney is very professional and conducts himself as a gentleman in all things. (He's a bit of a milk toast if ya know what I mean?)  Then there were the other two.  Well the one attorney started aggressively, then the other attorney was goading him, and then the F bombs started and the GD's started and then... out of nowhere, my clients attorney turned to me and spoke to me in the same fashion...
 
 
 
 
 
In times past, it would have been a free for all.  We would have been toe to toe.  I wouldn't have cursed, but it would have been a zoo.  However, since Dd, my first thought was, take a breath, stop!!! and think before you speak.  I lowered my voice, and spoke in a very calming, lady like manner and explained to him that I wanted to work with him, and wanted to come to an agreement, but that I had never treated him with anything but the utmost respect and only spoken to him in a manner in which I would want to be spoken to and I would appreciate the same respect and consideration, and then waited... for the fire works...
 
 
 
 
The two attorneys looked something like the above and the one who spoke to me apologized and we heard no more of the F word and the like.  I left out of that meeting, and my attorney praised my cool attitude and said, "You handled that very well."  I was shocked and so very pleased that Dd has helped me not only at home, but in other areas of my life.  


17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Grace. I was pretty stoked. I really was...

      Delete
  2. You go girl! ;) Seriously, good for you! It's so awesome that Dd has helped you in your professional life as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kenzie. It was really pretty awesome!!!

      Delete
  3. I have to say....that was awesome! Way to keep your cool and make an excellent point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! I took a very deep breath...

      Delete
  4. Doing my happy dance for you Dana! You show em girlfriend! So very proud of you and I know that the Man is also! :D

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does it count against me that I called him really, REALLY bad names in my head?

      Delete
    2. Of course not...they didn't slip out to his face! It would have even been okay to say them out loud in the car...as long as you were by yourself! *snicker* Oh and just for the record...he deserved whatever you called him in your head!

      Delete
  5. That is great!!! Wow, you must have a very stressful job though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara, and yes.. yes it its..

      Delete
  6. That is awesome Dana!! Way to go... :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I was pretty pleased with my little self...

      Delete
  7. That is so awesome, good for you,and I think it's great that you take your responsibility so seriously, those are some lucky kids. I know your work must be heartbreaking at time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is heart breaking sometimes and when it stops being so, I'll need to stop doing what I do.

      Delete
  8. YEAH DANA!!!!!! That is so awesome! Yeah. :) I am learning the same, that DD is helping other areas of my life. Who knew. And now you will have these lawyers respect when you have to deal with them in the future as well. :) Wait until your husband hears how well you did. :)

    {{{hugs}}} EsMay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Man said I did great and that he is very proud of me. That means like a lot to me...

      Delete