Hi Guys!!! I know it's been a while. Life has been past busy. The Man and I have just kinda jumped in the foxhole and hung tight to one another.
It is with great sadness that My Aunt whom I love dearly went home to be with Jesus today. She was good, she was kind, she was my friend and I will miss her with all my heart. That being said, the following are time honored truths from those of us who live in the South.
1. Family gathers round. Family does whatever they can do. (Yeah, we often talk about who's not there while we are gathering for support.)
2. Food is the ultimate comfort and sign of respect. A perfect example of this, within 30 minutes of returning to the home of my Aunt the first complete meal arrived. Within 2 hours, 3 complete meals with 5 desserts had arrived.
3. There is that one who you know if YOU call, the REST of the family will know within 30 minutes. (I think she made it in 25 today.)
4. There is always someone in the family who has been in training to step into the shoes of the one who has passed. (I will try my best, but hers were very big shoes to fill, and mostly I just wish she were here to keep her place.)
5. And finally, There is NOTHING like a wedding or a funeral to make people act a fool. My family is no exception.
As I watched my cousin throw the most GAWD awful fit I have ever seen in less than 2 hours after the death of her mother, to the place I had to intervene, my first thought was, "Where is her husband and WHY is he not doing something?" My second was, where is a paddle when you need one, and my third was.... "Oh Man, if I EVER, EVER, The Man would have drug me out of the house, blistering my bottom all the way to the car." I watched herself conduct herself in such a manner that was disrespectful to her mother, her husband, and La Familia. I don't ever, ever want someone to be able to say that about me. I am so glad that The Man loves me enough to never, ever let me get this out of control.
In the face of that, let me say this to my Aunt. You were the most amazing, courageous woman I have ever known. Godspeed little lady. I love you.