Monday, November 18, 2013

And THAT is what I love about the South....

Hi Guys!!!  I know it's been a while.  Life has been past busy.  The Man and I have just kinda  jumped in the foxhole and hung tight to one another. 

It is with great sadness that My Aunt whom I love dearly went home to be with Jesus today.  She was good, she was kind, she was my friend and I will miss her with all my heart.  That being said, the following are time honored truths from those of us who live in the South.

1.  Family gathers round.  Family does whatever they can do. (Yeah, we often talk about who's not there while we are gathering for support.)

2.  Food is the ultimate comfort and sign of respect.  A perfect example of this, within 30 minutes of returning to the home of my Aunt the first complete meal arrived.  Within 2 hours, 3 complete meals with 5 desserts had arrived.

3.  There is that one who you know if YOU call, the REST of the family will know within 30 minutes. (I think she made it in 25 today.)

4.  There is always someone in the family who has been in training to step into the shoes of the one who has passed.  (I will try my best, but hers were very big shoes to fill, and mostly I just wish she were here to keep her place.)

5.  And finally, There is NOTHING like a wedding or a funeral to make people act a fool.  My family is no exception.

As I watched my cousin throw the most GAWD awful fit I have ever seen in less than 2 hours after the death of her mother, to the place I had to intervene, my first thought was, "Where is her husband and WHY is he not doing something?"  My second was, where is a paddle when you need one, and my third was.... "Oh Man, if I EVER, EVER, The Man would have drug me out of the house, blistering my bottom all the way to the car."  I watched herself conduct herself in such a manner that was disrespectful to her mother, her husband, and La Familia.   I don't ever, ever want someone to be able to say that about me.  I am so glad that The Man loves me enough to never, ever let me get this out of control. 

In the face of that, let me say this to my Aunt.  You were the most amazing, courageous woman I have ever known.  Godspeed little lady.  I love you.

19 comments:

  1. Sweet Dana...wish I was close enough to bring you a meal and give you a big hug! I am so sorry you have lost such a lovely lady. Her daughter sure showed her disrespect as well as showing her butt!

    I'm here if there is anything I can do for you. Sending lots of healing energy and positive thoughts for you and your family!

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat,

      Thanks my friend.. She surely did, and oh wow, it was nasty. I am thinking about purchasing a paddle and sending it to her husband anonymously with the website to LDD.. Just sayin...

      Delete
  2. Oh I'm so sorry about your aunt, but am glad that thru all that you managed to find some comfort in your family.

    and remember the love (and spanking) your man showers on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks my friend. He has been wonderful...

      Delete
  3. So sorry for your loss. I am stopping to pray for you and all who loved her. God bless you and yours, -Belle L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear you lost your Aunt. I am sure you will cherish the memories
    you have and until you see her in Heaven again, you will hold her in your heart.

    love
    sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, everyday. Thanks for the kindness Sarah.

      Delete
  5. Oh, Dana. How hard to say goodbye to a loved one. I am glad you are still finding comfort in memories and the loved ones gathering around. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Yes, my family is very close.

      Delete
  6. Dana,

    So sorry to hear about your Aunt. My thoughts are with you.

    Love and hugs,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ronnie. I'm just sad I will never hear her laugh again.

      Delete
  7. I'm so sorry for your loss :(
    You're right though! That's exactly what happened when my grandfather passed away. Food, food, and more food was sent to my grandmother's house to all of it.
    Hugs,
    Elle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm telling ya.. Food, food and more food. Thanks for the kindness Elle.

      Delete
  8. {{{HUGS}}} I am sorry for your loss, and for the fit that your cousin threw. Here's hoping it was her grief talking, and she will regret her behaviour after some healing has set in. And family that you can depend on to make the calls, and loved ones that bring you food when you need to be focusing your attentions else where really are amazing blessings, and am so glad that they were all there for you.

    {{{hugs}}} EsMay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Es May. Unfortunately... she doesn't regret a thing. However, her funeral was beautiful and fitting for her life.

      Delete
  9. Oh I am so sorry for your loss, but be content that she is in a better place and pain free.
    My family sounds a lot like yours at these times even down to the one who has to take centre stage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janey,
      I am so happy for her. She is in a much better place. Unfortunately, I think every family has to have a drama Mama....

      Delete
  10. Dana, I'm so sorry for your loss. Thoughts to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete