Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Memories

One of my earliest memories is of you carrying me, and telling my other cousin, that no, she couldn't carry me because you liked to.  You have carried me through many stages of my life.

The first wedding I remember was yours.  It was a rainbow wedding, with swiss dot material.  No one had ever looked more beautiful.  I couldn't wait till summer so I could come and stay at your house. Well, actually I made the rounds, Grandpa's house, your house, and my other aunts.  I remember the summer I stayed with you so you could make my school clothes.    It was magical.  We laughed and giggled, and you made all my favorite foods.

Then you had your first baby, and I carried her on my hip like you did me.  I was so proud that you let me carry her.  And then your son.  Oh man he was a buster..

As I grew into young adulthood, we became friends.  I could talk to you, laugh with you.  Your laughter could be heard throughout any house you were in.  You are the joy of our family.  You are loved.  You have been the laughter, and the jokes and the giggles.

You have been my sister/Aunt/Mother.  You have listened to me as I have cried bitterly over my mothers broken mind.  You have interceded on her behalf while understanding my feelings.  When I came home from a failed marriage, broken and bleeding inside, you loved me.  You listened to me, you never judged and you helped me to heal.

You have celebrated every event of my children, both of my body and my heart.  How many baby showers, wedding shower, wedding receptions, birthday parties have we worked to pull off.  You are an artist with food.  No caterer could ever outdo you.  We have made a great team of you doing the food and me doing the decorations.  I cherish your crystal and think of you every time I pull it out.

How my heart cries for you to stay..  I have watched you fight this nasty ugly thing called cancer for 6 years now.  You are the most courageous, brave, strong woman I've ever known.  How my Daddy and Mom love you.  You are like their child.  We are like sisters.  Now, I must once again follow your example and be strong enough to let you go.  You are like my sister, you are my Aunt, but most of all, you are my friend, and I know the time is drawing near.  I wish you more.. I wish you peace and dignity, and to know that you are so loved.

10 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful tribute sweet Dana. I know your heart is hurting...I'm here if there is anything I can do for you.

    Sending lots of prayers and healing energy.

    Hugs and blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I was given a gift today. She was alert and we talked for three hours.

      Delete
  2. This brought tears to my eyes...and makes me think it's time to call a couple of my most special aunties and make sure they how special they are to me. Thinking of you Dana. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyday is so important... every memory, every hug

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. She makes it easy to say beautiful things about her.

      Delete
  4. Ahhhhh.. So sweet and very easy to see what an important part of your life this wonderful woman has been. Hugs, prays and thoughts of strength coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irish.. She is truly an amazing woman.

      Delete
  5. A lovely tribute to someone so obviously important in your life. It brought tears to my eyes.
    A long time lurker...I wish you peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and you are welcome any time. It's nice to meet you. Feel free to comment any time.

      Delete