Monday, May 6, 2013

You Learn Something New Everyday

I was driving again today.  I really think the majority of my time is spent driving from one meeting to the other.  I had the radio on an tuned into a talk program that was a major light bulb moment.


 
 
 
The folks were talking about the differences between the male brain and the female brain and how that relates to marriage.  I knew many things like men are fixers.  They have a fundamental need for respect.  Women process by talking through things, and need to feel heard.
 
 
However,  did you know...  that women can hear and process 7 different sounds whereas a man can only process one at a time?
 
 
 
 
 
Also, were you aware that women's sense of smell is 10 times, yes that is 10 times more sensitive than a mans?
 
 
 
 
Also, when women are stressed or upset about something, we need to process it, talk about it, work through it.  When men are stressed they need time to think, to DO something, movement, physical activity, time to think through things.
 
 
And my favorite, the word " create" used in the bible in reference to man, (and this is my translation of what they said) was something rough hewn, strong, formed for the purpose to protect.  The word "create" in reference to women is something formed to cherish and treasure, to edify.
 
 
What struck me was that often times we are made to compliment one another.  I was convicted in my heart of the times I get so frustrated with The Man because he doesn't "communicate" with me, doesn't share his feelings.  I also had no idea that men have a "box" that is a nothing box in their head.  They can go here, and be thinking nothing. 
 
Also, there was understanding that YES, I may be the only one in the house that "smells" that.  Which lets the men in my life somewhat off the hook.  (Not for the smells, but that they truly don't smell it"  It was a good 30 minutes of information that I didn't have.  It made me see some things, and reaffirmed the things that we are working on and the foundations of TTWD.  He thrives on respect , and my encouragement, and in turn he is there to protect and cherish me.

14 comments:

  1. Wow Dana...Thanks for sharing...wish I had known the "smell" fact years ago! Lots of bickering with my ex and the boys because they couldn't smell some gawd awful smell in the house and I would have to track it down! LOL

    Women can hear and process 7 different sounds whereas a man can only process one at a time? Hmmm...confirms what I always believed...need to turn off TV, music, etc. before trying to have discussion with a male. ;)

    Great info!

    Blessings,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have NO idea how many times I have said..."Do you NOT smell that? How can you NOT smell that..."

      Delete
  2. Heat post!! I love what Cat said.
    It often amazes me that we can be so different and yet make relationships work. "He thrives on respect and my encouragement...." I need to engrave that in my brain!
    Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am learning a deeper meaning of this daily Sarah.

      Delete
  3. Wow- great info and perspective! It might help me to keep those things in mind sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great, now I can't get all frustrated at the Duke when he doesn't smell that odor in the car. :( lol And the Duke will sometimes say when I ask him what he's thinking that he's thinking nothing at all. I've had such a hard time believing him, he must be thinking something... I guess this gets him off the hook as well. He'll love you for this post... me, meh. LOL :) Thanks for sharing, it will make me less stressed now, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really comforting to me to know he is not ignoring me, nor am I being a witch...

      Delete
  5. Wow! All this makes perfect sense! Great 411 post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pink. I've not seen you before. Welcome!! and yeah it was a real aha moment for me.

      Delete
  6. Interesting but in our house it is the opposite on the smells - 51 has the super sniffer (as I call it) and seriously, there could be a dead cat in our living room and I probably wouldn't notice it.

    I blame my allergies this time of year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You lucky thing. Man, my nose is so hyper sensitive and it has caused more than ONE altercation...

      Delete
  7. dana! what a great post. i didn't know any of that stuff. cool.

    thanks,
    m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's important for us girls to share information when we can. I mean.. with bottoms on the line and all..

      Delete