Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Cookies.... cookies...

Okay.. so I saw the reminder (first time I saw it) on Heart and Soul.  It's Cookie Exchange Day..  Now, I have a man who loves him some cookies..  So I am always looking for recipes..  So, let's all play along.  I don't know that we'll be able to be on the list, but we'll figure it out.

These cookies are in honor of my kids.  My oldest son in particular.   Every year at Christmas, the oldest child gets to pick the "first Jelly" to be used.  My son once told his wife the smell of these cookies meant he was home......

                  
 
THUMB PRINT COOKIES
 
1 cup of butter softened
1 cup of white sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups of self rising flour
 
Whatever jam, jelly you have and would like to use
 
1
Cream together shortening, sugar, egg and vanilla.                
2
Mix the dry with the wet ingredients.
3
Use a tablespoon and then roll into a ball, place on a cookie sheet and mash the middle with your thumb, making a well, but don't go through the dough.
 
4
 
Fill the well with whatever jelly or jam you could like          
5
Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.

 
 
                                             

11 comments:

  1. Looks good Dana - can almost smell them from here. ;)

    Blessings,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dana! I will definitely try these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are making me feel hungry and it's only 10.30 am.

    Thanks Dana.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some what @ work made these for our department (this was years ago) and I asked her for the recipe. Somehow I lost it, but now it's found! I love unusual jams, like blackberry and blueberry. But strawberry of course would look the most Christmasy!
    Thanks so much for adding this back to my recipe file!
    Happy Holidaze Dana! :-) Elysia

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, "someone" not "some what"
    I need more coffee! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. "My son once told his wife the smell of these cookies meant he was home......"

    That is the best compliment in the world! I will have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made thumb print cookies when I was a child - EVERY year at Christmas. They are filled with warm memories. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sniffing the air, imagining the smell...

    These sound great. Thanks for sharing!
    (and playing, of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not much a baker but I loved helping my mom by sticking my thumb into the dough! And spooning in raspberry jam. Thanks for the recipe and the memory! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, this sounds super delicious! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    aisha

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH! Thumbprint cookies! I remember them from my childhood. OH, and I love orange marmalade, those might be a more adult taste but oh nom. Suddenly, my cookie baking list is getting longer and longer and longer....

    :)

    nilla

    ReplyDelete