Wednesday, December 19, 2012

A Different way to Honor...

I have pondered many things over the last few days. I know the country is outraged and in mourning for the innocent lives so senselessly snuffed out as Sandy Hook Elementary.  The outrage, the demand for gun control, trying to make sense, watching the media make this a circus and the list goes on and on...  Whereas I won't weigh in on this, as it seems to have enough heat, it doesn't need me to add to the fire.

I would ask the community at large this one question, Where is your outrage of the abuse/neglect that occurs on a daily basis? I would ask, is it okay as long as the children don't die? Is it okay if only their spirits die? Is it acceptable if only their minds are broken? Is it okay as long as it's only their innocence and childhood that dies an untimely death?  I am not in any way trying to lessen or minimize the loss of those babies that died, please do not misunderstand me.

There are many avenues in which to advocate for children. One of the main ones being, how many of you have made it very clear to your district attorney and local government that you will not tolerate nor re-elect someone who will not prosecute child abusers be it physical or sexual? Have you made it clear that justice isn't just about winning a case. These children are not numbers. The only avenue they have for justice is our legal system and they are failing our children. Children are asked to do things that as adults we would press charges and their would be a great outcry to the public. Children are asked to sit in a room with their rapist/abuser because parents have rights. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard the excuse, "people just don't want to believe bad things happen to children" in reference to charges being pressed.

Let me say here, I believe in the sanctity of the family. I believe in second chances, I believe people can change. I also firmly beileve that parents should have to DEMONSTRATE that change and the desire to effect that change before the risk of harming a child is even contemplated. People who want to change, do. I believe in mercy tempered with justice. I also believe that children have the same rights to be treated as human beings as anyone over the age of 18.

Many of our children are the walking wounded, and many are walking emotional/mental zombies. When you hear a child describe abuse in a way that they say, I once was this way and after "that" happened I was a completely different person, is this not a type of murder? Children are resilient, but at what cost? Those whose minds are so broken and shattered due to the treatment by the very people put on this earth to love and protect them deserve a voice. They deserve to be heard and honored as veterans in the most horrendous kind of warfare.

I am grieved for these babies who will never have the chance to grow up, go to college, find a job they love, or marry the mate of their dreams. However, I am no more grieved for them than the ones who are still breathing that have suffered such significant abuse that much the same can be said for their lives.  From what I can see from the media, these children were loved, wanted, cared for and cherished by both their families and their communities.  Their suffering was caused by a random act of violent evil from a stranger.   I cannot say the same for many of the children that I come in contact with who are broken, thrown away and their spirits "murdered" by the betrayal of the very people whom were given the God given honor to love and protect them as the gifts they were meant to be.

It saddens me that it takes such and act of violence for attention to be turned to the most innocent in our world.  There is evil in this world.  I see it every single day.  Yet, there is goodness, there are heroes, there are selfless acts of bravery, every day.

I challenge you, find a way to be a positive change. In honor of these babies whose precious light was taken from this Earth way too soon.  In honor of the love their families and community so obviously lavished upon each and every one of them.  Whether it is making your voice heard politically, taking foster parenting classes, mentoring young parents, mentoring children, donating toys, time, and love. Love is free.

10 comments:

  1. I love this post. This is something I see everyday. I'm grateful to you for sharing this with the world. Children don't always have a voice, and it is the job of the adults around them to speak for them. You are such a blessing. I hope things are going well for you. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teachers are my hero!!! Often times, they can alert us to what is REALLY going on...

      Delete
  2. Awesome post from an awesome lady. You made such great points here Dana - I volunteer at a woman's shelter and what the children have gone through is just heartbreaking. Thank you for taking the time to write this timely reminder.

    Hugs and Blessings,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my friend. Volunteers are the most amazing people on the planet. You just don't know how many lives you touch, and kindness is remembered forever.

      Delete
  3. You're so right, Dana. I see it every single day in our own neighborhood. I open our doors to these children who may only receive the warmth they can gain in our home for a short period of time. It saddens me, too. Thanks for making this point, beautifully stated.

    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh June.... It's the folks that are welcoming, that children "know" are little people lovers that can make the most significant difference. I still remember an older (not that you are) lady in my community when I was young. I weeded her garden and she gave me cookies and lemonade and unconditional love..

      Delete
  4. Dana,
    I am a teacher, and taught Kindergarten for many years. Thank you for this beautiful post. You touched my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teachers, good ones, Ones with a true heart for a child, is one of the greatest gift TO a child...

      Delete
    2. Your reply made me teary. I used to call them "my kids" - and as a matter of fact, that's something I'd listen for when I was interviewing other teachers. Did they call them "my kids" or "the students?" My instinctive reaction was to hire the teachers who referred to the students as "my kids" or "our kids" - because they are. They become part of your heart.

      Delete
  5. Your post really touched me. My mother was a social worker for the Division of Family Services for many years. She loved all of "her kids" and still kept in touch with them after she left social work to be a counselor. I met many of her kids and this has made me want to eventually become a foster parent and hopefully adopt through the foster program.

    My husband was severely abused sexually and emotionally for years as a child and deals with post traumatic stress on a daily basis. He is an amazing and strong person, but it breaks my heart to think of everything he went through. Thankfully, starting a DD lifestyle has helped him take control of his life since he has to lead by example.

    ReplyDelete