Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Larger than Life

As we approach the Thanksgiving season in the US.  I was thinking today, as I was chatting with my Dad that I had some things I needed to share.  He'll never see this, and would be terribly embarassed if he did.

My Daddy has always been larger than life.  He is a big burly man of Irish/Cherokee descent.  His family is everything.  His heart is as big as life and he has always been the go to person.  He has fixed a million cars for his nephews and our family.  He is a jack of all trades.  There is nothing he couldn't do with his hands.  We never had to "call the man" because he WAS the man. 

He instilled in his children a sense of morality, right and wrong.  A strong work ethic was required and expected.  You were honest and you never took what didn't belong to you, and  you gave to those who needed it.  He honored his parents till the day they died.  It was the only time I ever saw him cry was when my grandpa died.  He has stood by my mother with a commitment that even I don't understand some days.

Is he perfect?  Um, NO.  He has a temper that is legendary.  He was often gruff and harsh, not understanding that words hurt.  Emotions are hard for him as he was taught that men only show anger and no other kind of emotion.  So, he poured himself into doing things for those he loved.  That was the only way he could show it. 

I remember a bike with a torn seat that had seen better days at a flea market.  (we were rather poor as children).  My Daddy bought that bike, brought it home, sanded it, took it apart, painted it the most awesome color of white and red with a new banana seat and handles with streamers.  I just know it went faster because of them.  Hours and hours he spent on that bike. 

I remember the day I called with tears pouring down my face.. "Daddy, I lost the baby."  And the day I called and said, "Daddy.... DADDY.. it's  gonna be a boy."

I remember my Daddy standing at the bedside of my son who was in the ICU, as he held my hand.

I remember him saying, as I called broken hearted from a marriage that didn't make it, "Sissy, come home, as long as I have a home so do you."

I remember laying my head in his lap and sobbing my heart out when my oldest son decided to go and live with his father.

I remember him saying, "Sissy, you can't hold it against her.  She's not herself right now."

I have said to The Man, whatever will I do when My Daddy is gone?  There will never be another human on this Earth that knows me like he does.

I found this song, and it truly is My Daddy and I.  Although you will never see this... Big B, my life is so much richer because of you.

8 comments:

  1. Oh Dana - such a beautiful tribute to your daddy and yes, you did make me cry - happy and sad. Happy for you, missing my daddy. :) When he's gone, you will go on - with a hole in your heart but a million memories to sustain you.

    Print this out and mail it to your daddy. Yes it might embarrass him but it will also make his day.

    Thank you for sharing this.

    Blessings,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have often told The Man that when Daddy's gone, there will be no one in the world that knows me like him. Michael says, " I know babe, and I'm tryin..."

      Delete
  2. sobs.

    that was beautiful. makes me think about my own dad who is approaching his twilight years and isn't altogether there anymore sometimes...

    thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fondles,

      I know what you mean. It broke my heart the first time I realized my dad couldn't physically do something he used to be able to do.

      Delete
  3. I need an entire box of kleenex. Perhaps because of what is happening with my own Dad, it just hit home harder than I expected. What a beautiful tribute to a loving man, who obviously loves you very much and whom you love just as much! I'm going to log off and have a good cry right now... lol. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C,
      I just needed to express how I feel. I know I only have him for a little while longer. I didn't mean to make you cry, but I am touched that you got just what I was trying to say..

      Delete
  4. That was lovely. It's great that you can have that special bond with your father. Although I have one also, there are many people who don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know and I don't know what they do...

      Delete