Sunday, October 21, 2012

Two places at once...

I wish I could be two places at once.  The Man was gracious enough to take me to see my number one son and daughter in love in Chicago.  We have had a wonderful time.  Again, I am without my phone or computer.  (We brought his) 

I watched as my son nervously cooked dinner for us, wanting to show me that he had picked up some of my cooking skills.  I had a huge lump in my throat as he said, "Shall we say grace?" and took the hand of his wife as well as mine and prayed.  We had dinner (which was yummy) and finished it out with an amazing lemon chess pie.  OMG...  it was really good.

This morning, as we went to worship with our kids, I heard from others in the community what an amazing man my son has become.  As a parent, this is the most humbling thing you can here.  "Your son is such a blessing to us.  You have raised an amazing man with a huge heart."  The father of their parish simply stated, "You have raised quite the miracle in him."  Again, I had a lump in my throat as my son got up to do the scripture reading and then led the prayer part of their service.  He has chosen a denomination different from my own, and I simply don't care.  As a parent, I am just thrilled he continues to walk with God and is contributing to better the lives of those around him.

I watched the pride in his eyes and the way he carried himself as he showed me his community garden that he revived this year.  You see, in the inner city, the children there are being diagnosed with rickets due to poor nutrition.  He is amazing and he is following the dream God has given him.

My daughter in love could be making ALOT of money but instead she has chosen to make a good living at a community health center where without her and others like her, the community would not have decent medical care.  She loves her patients and works with the local agency to provide care for children just coming into foster care.

Tomorrow I will have to say good bye.  Their life is here and mine is not.  Oh how I wish I could be two places at once.  I will hug my son and say to him what I have said since he was a child, "I miss your face when it's gone."

10 comments:

  1. He sounds like a wonderful man. I imagine it's hard to live so far apart, but knowing how much he is helping others probably helps. You must be so very proud of him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds just wonderful. I can almost see your face light up through your words. As far as denominations, those are man made, not God made. The church in God's eyes is the body of people who love and follow Him. He is ok with people deciding to do it in different ways, as long as those ways don't go against his commandments. What a wonderful testament of how he was raised. Congratulations on y'all's success. May God continue to bless you and yours, Belle L.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We enjoyed worshiping with them. Yes, I am so humbled at what a wonderful man he is.

      Delete
  3. I have a lump in my throat. Well done, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is an amazing young man and she is the perfect help mate for him.

      Delete
  4. You are an awesome mother who has raised an awesome son who is following in your footsteps in service to others. As proud as you are of your son and daughter in love, I'm sure they are as proud of you. I absolutely understand how you will feel when you leave - I do it every time I leave mine also. Have a safe trip home and enjoy the journey with your lovely and loving Man.

    Blessings,
    Caat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched with tears in my eyes as he introduced the man as his "parent" and agreed with the priest when he called the Man his dad. The Man has done his time and paid his dues with our older two children

      Delete
  5. Such a blessing to read this! Glad you got to spend time with your son and his wife!
    Hugs,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete