Sunday, July 15, 2012

I'm Proud to Say....

The Man and I, we have 5 kids.  His, mine and we've made them all ours.  I have 4 boys and one girl.   Let me introduce you to them.

Our oldest son is married to a doctor.  He is the coordinator of a sizeable community garden project in an urban area.  He also volunteers at the food pantry where the garden is.  He is a gentle soul who fiercely believes in equality for all.

Our daughter just got married (I am still recovering from the wedding in April...)  She is bright, sensitive, creative, and has a core of courage that makes us both proud.  Her husband has a degree in math and they are learning what works for them in their new marriage.

Our 18 year old son just graduated high school and has overcome many obstacles.  He is learning to navigate life.  He has his father's intelligence.  He plays the guitar and loves to hunt.

Our 16 year old son is our gentle giant.  He is quiet, reserved and never misses a thing.  He has a very dry sense of humor.  He will more than likely be our one to go into the millitary.  He has a sense of honor that dictates he serve his country and protect it in this manner.  He is bright, loyal, faithful, and just taught his first men's bible study for Mission night with the Men's brotherhood at church.

Last but not least, our 13 year old son.  He is funny, stubborn, compassionate, loving, exceptionally bright, and one day I am going to write a book about him.  It's going to be titled.  The World according to...

Now, for the rest of the story...  Our 16 year old has a girlfriend.  Last night I had the priviledge of discussing with him what was important in a relationship.  They are attending a youth event together tomorrow through church.  I talked with him about appropriate behavior and that as a young man, and the leader of the relationship, it was his responsibility to take care not only his reputation, but hers.  That when you care for someone, you put what is best for them ahead of what you may want.

I explained to him that honorable men, respect not only those they care about but also themselves enough to conduct themselves in a manner that is above reproach.  In short, that he would treat her in a manner he would want his sister treated.  I told him that as the young man in the relationship it was his responsibility to set the standard of behavior for both himself and the relationship.

I am proud to be able to say, I said all of this and ended it with, you know like your Dad does with me.  I am so proud of my husband, especially when I can say, "Your Dad is the leader of our home.  He is always deserves our respect because he has earned it."  My Man has a reputation that is above reproach.  He is known as a man who works hard to provide for his family.  He is known for his generous gentle spirit that would give anybody anything they needed if he could.  His known to be a man of his word, and he is teaching his sons by example how to live, and his daughter how to be treated.

6 comments:

  1. cool. how did it go? were you there to?

    TW xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was and it went very well. He conducted himself in a manner that made me proud. She is quiet, shy, and terrified of storms...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Dana for sharing your beautiful family. What a lovely tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a lovely family. Nice job! Raising kids-the most important thing......so many people take more care of their animals than their children

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a firm believer... they are our legacy

      Delete